Sunday, February 14, 2010

First Day At St. Mary's

Monday January 25th was the first day of lab for me in PED 201. I had no idea what to expect but just knew that I would be working with children at the St. Mary's Elementary School. I was actually a little nervous going there and was hoping that I would do well interacting with all the children. At first I was given a quick tour of the facility and then thrown right into the mix with the kids. The first place I was, was in the cafeteria where I immediately did a bunch of puzzles with the kids and also played Mancala. I really enjoyed spending the time there with the kids and really getting to talk to them in a calm environment. After doing the puzzles and playing the games, the other members of my group and I moved into the gym to have free play with the children. This was my favorite part. In the gym I played basketball for most of the time with some boy and a couple other members of my group from my PED class. First we played knock out but eventually some of the boys got bored with it and played touch football. I stayed with basketball and introduced the game of around the world to one of the boys to help him practice his shooting. Overall I had a really great time interacting with the kids at St. Mary's and the time just flew by. I'm excited to have more labs and get to know the children more!

No comments:

Post a Comment